Singhal elected head of NDMC Standing Committee
New Delhi: BJP`s Ram Kishan Singhal was on Thursday unanimously elected the chairman of the Standing Committee of North Delhi Municipal Corporation while Mohan Bhardwaj took over the post of the Deputy Chairman.
Talking to reporters after taking over from the current chairman Yogendra Chandolia, Singhal listed sanitation and health in North Delhi as his priorities.
Admitting collection and disposal of garbage was a major problem, Singhal said his agenda for the coming year would be to fix the situation.
"I agree that there is a problem and steps would be taken to address this," Singhal said.
Giving details of today`s meeting with Lieutenant Governor of Delhi Tejinder Khanna, where mayors of the three corporations and other councilors were also present, Singhal said the civic bodies made it clear that there would be no hike in parking rates.
"This is our party`s decision and we will abide by it. Also, I do not believe that such a raise would prevent people from switching over to public transport. Raising the tax on purchase of new vehicles is a much better idea," he added.
The issue of cleaning the drains alongside roads maintained by PWD also came up for discussion at the meeting with the LG.
"We told him that these drains have not been cleaned which will create a havoc during monsoon, who in turn suggested that we take control of the drains," BJP leader Mahendra Nagpal said.
"We are willing to do so only if we are also given a budget for the same. But if that is not done, we would not be able to clean the drains," he added. The councillors also discussed the alleged manhandling of a junior engineer Manish Meena of City Zone allegedly by councillor Aaley Mohammed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day