Six-coach Metro trains from December
New Delhi: Metro commuters can hope to have
a much more comfortable ride from this December with the DMRC
planning to introduce six-coach trains from the end of this
year to ease the rush.
It has ordered 40 new Metro cars from German train maker
Bombardier for this purpose.
The new cars, which will be supplied by Bombardier in
phases, will be coupled with the existing four-coach trains to
make them six-coach ones.
The contract is valued at approximately USD 55 million
and is follow-on to the original order for 74 vehicles
announced recently in June, a Bombardier release said, adding
that delivery will follow the completion of existing contract
delivery and is expected to end in 2011.
DMRC plans to introduce six-coach trains from December
this year on over-crowded like the Line-3 (Dwarka Sec-9-Noida
City Centre/Anand Vihar) and the Line 1 (Dilshad
"The 40 additional cars are for coupling purpose to
convert four coach trains into six-coach and eight-coach ones.
The first six-coach train is expected by this December
depending on the traffic conditions," a DMRC spokesman said.
Facing ever-increasing rush, DMRC has been contemplating
introducing six-coach trains for quite some time.
Almost all trains on Line 3 and Line 1 are jam-packed
during the morning and evening rush hours.
Once the entire Phase-II becomes operational in
September, a month before the Commonwealth Games, DMRC will
start coupling the new coaches with existing ones and deploy
With the new order, DMRC will be operating a fleet of 538
Bombardier MOVIA Metro cars, one of the largest in the world.
Around 190 of these MOVIA cars are already operating
successfully on Delhi`s Metro network.
The cars will be manufactured at Bombardier`s site in
Savli in Gujarat and will be transported by road to the
DMRC traverses around 125 kms a day presently carrying 11
million passengers and hopes to cover 190 kms and ferry 20
million people by the end of this year.
Commenting on the new contract, Stephane Rambaud-Measson,
President, Passengers Division, Bombardier Transportation,
said: "Our manufacturing operations in India are growing from
strength to strength, already producing vehicles at an
impressive rate of one metro car each day."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena was Indrani’s daughter from her previous marriage, not sister
- How justified is the violence in Gujarat over quota row?-Part 2
- Gujarat quota stir: Exclusive interview with Hardik Patel
- Gujarat quota stir: PM Modi appeals for peace
- Sheena Bora murder mystery: Eight questions which need to be answered
- I know why Indrani Mukherjea murdered my sister Sheena: Mikhail Bora
- Sheena Bora murder case: All that we know about Indrani Mukherjea
- Pregnant teen buried alive, wakes up in coffin
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukherjea's former husband, Sanjeev Khanna, arrested by Mumbai Police
- How Hardik Patel got offended when asked about Arvind Kejriwal