Six Delhi cops suspended for alleged torture in lockup
New Delhi: Six Delhi police personnel, including former Station House Officer (SHO) of Vijay Vihar police station, were suspended on Wednesday following media reports about a `secret lockup` where juveniles were allegedly confined and tortured, Delhi police said.
The action was taken after reports showed a makeshift prison in a building close to the police station where several minors and adults were allegedly confined and beaten up. The incident happened on March 27 after the children were picked up by Vijay Vihar police.
"An FIR has been lodged in this case and a senior police official is probing the matter," a police official said.
"The then SHO of Vijay Vihar, Inspector Sunil Kumar who is currently SHO of Neb Sarai, Head Constable Lal Singh and Constables Rahul, Rajkumar, Subhash and Akhilesh have been suspended pending an inquiry," he said.
Delhi Commission for Protection of Child Rights (DCPCR) has also asked the Delhi police to investigate the case and submit an action taken report before July 17.
A notice in this regard was issued today after the Commission took suo motu cognizance of the matter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price