Six Delhi cops suspended for alleged torture in lockup
New Delhi: Six Delhi police personnel, including former Station House Officer (SHO) of Vijay Vihar police station, were suspended on Wednesday following media reports about a `secret lockup` where juveniles were allegedly confined and tortured, Delhi police said.
The action was taken after reports showed a makeshift prison in a building close to the police station where several minors and adults were allegedly confined and beaten up. The incident happened on March 27 after the children were picked up by Vijay Vihar police.
"An FIR has been lodged in this case and a senior police official is probing the matter," a police official said.
"The then SHO of Vijay Vihar, Inspector Sunil Kumar who is currently SHO of Neb Sarai, Head Constable Lal Singh and Constables Rahul, Rajkumar, Subhash and Akhilesh have been suspended pending an inquiry," he said.
Delhi Commission for Protection of Child Rights (DCPCR) has also asked the Delhi police to investigate the case and submit an action taken report before July 17.
A notice in this regard was issued today after the Commission took suo motu cognizance of the matter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla