Six Delhi cops suspended for alleged torture in lockup
New Delhi: Six Delhi police personnel, including former Station House Officer (SHO) of Vijay Vihar police station, were suspended on Wednesday following media reports about a `secret lockup` where juveniles were allegedly confined and tortured, Delhi police said.
The action was taken after reports showed a makeshift prison in a building close to the police station where several minors and adults were allegedly confined and beaten up. The incident happened on March 27 after the children were picked up by Vijay Vihar police.
"An FIR has been lodged in this case and a senior police official is probing the matter," a police official said.
"The then SHO of Vijay Vihar, Inspector Sunil Kumar who is currently SHO of Neb Sarai, Head Constable Lal Singh and Constables Rahul, Rajkumar, Subhash and Akhilesh have been suspended pending an inquiry," he said.
Delhi Commission for Protection of Child Rights (DCPCR) has also asked the Delhi police to investigate the case and submit an action taken report before July 17.
A notice in this regard was issued today after the Commission took suo motu cognizance of the matter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- Chile stun Argentina to win first Copa America crown