Skeletons case: SC grants bail to CPI-M MLA
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Friday granted
bail to former Left Front minister and CPI-M MLA Susanta Ghosh
in connection with a skeletons recovery case.
While granting bail, a bench of justices Altamas Kabir
and Gyan Sudha Misra imposed the condition that Ghosh would
not visit West Bengal`s West Midnapore district other than his
Assembly constituency Garbeta.
The apex court, which allowed his appeal against the
denial of bail by the Calcutta High Court on September 29,
last year, said Ghosh would also have to visit a police
station nearest to his residence on the last Sunday of every
month between 11 AM and 2 PM.
Other conditions for his bail would be imposed by the
Ghosh`s bail plea was argued by advocate Ajay Sharma, who
had filed the appeal against the high court order.
Ghosh has been in custody since August 11, last year
after his arrest by the state CID for his alleged complicity
in the murder of Ajay Acharya, whose son filed an FIR
following discovery of his skeleton from a pit.
Seven skeletons were dug out from a pit in a field near
Ghosh`s ancestral house at Benachapra in West Midnapore
district. DNA tests proved that one of the skeletons was that
of Acharya. In the FIR, Shyamal Acharya named Ghosh as one of
the key accused.
He alleged that his father had been murdered along with
the other six, all Trinamool Congress supporters, in September
2002 and their bodies were buried.
Ghosh has maintained that it is a politically-motivated
case and was filed after a change in the government in the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note