Smuggling case: Two accused ran firms on employees` name
New Delhi: Two accused in the Rs 10 crore smuggling case had front companies in the name of their employees to evade customs duty and income tax, DRI has said.
The Directorate of Revenue Intelligence had last year unearthed an international syndicate involved in smuggling of restricted refrigeration gases, air conditioners and cigarettes from foreign countries worth about Rs 10 crore.
The case was later transferred to Delhi Police for further investigations which had arrested Ajit Singh Chadha from Delhi. Another accused Rohit Sakhuja had last month surrendered in a Delhi court.
The duo are at present lodged in Tihar jails.
Chadha and Sakhuja have been booked under the COFEPOSA -- the Conservation of Foreign Exchange and Prevention of Smuggling Activities Act.
During the course of investigation, it was found that the duo had created various firms in the name of their employees from time to time and have imported air conditioners, LCD televisions and other items through these companies.
The firms -- M/s MC Overseas, M/S Star Aircon and M/S Cool Waves -- were floated in the name of their employees to deceive the probe agencies and evade customs duty, income tax and sales tax, they said.
The DRI has also written to the Directorate General of Foreign Trade to look into the matter as licenses to import air conditioners were given to the firms by its officials.
Chadha and Sakhuja have been involved in forging the papers to get the clearance of eight containers filled with smuggled items from Inland Container Depot in Tughlakabad.
The containers had air conditioners of various brands and more than 6,000 units of R-22 gases, commonly used in heating, ventilation and air conditioning systems which were seized by the DRI officials, the sources said.
The import of R-22 gases is restricted as their usage results in depletion of ozone layer.
DRI officials had also seized at least 18,000 cigarette packets (one packet containing 20 packs of 10 cigarettes each) of `Djarum Black` brand and over 11,000 packets (one packet containing 24 packs of 10 cigarettes each) of `Gudang Garam`.
Both the brands were manufactured in Indonesia and used in clubs or in rave parties, they said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly