Socio-economic census launched in Delhi
New Delhi: The socio-economic and caste
census exercise was on Wednesday launched in the national capital
with the enumeration of Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit.
She replied to various queries of the Divisional
Commissioner, who along with other senior officers and an
enumerator, was present at the occasion to complete the
Dikshit provided the complete information about herself,
and the entries were recorded on a tablet and later shown to
her for verification.
The first nationwide socio-economic and caste census
exercise in independent India will be conducted between
January 15 and February 29 in Delhi, with 10,000 enumerators
surveying every home and individual, including the homeless,
asking questions related to their socio-economic status.
To speed up the gathering of data in a city with an
estimated population 1.7 crore, the enumerators have been
given tablet computers so that details of those already
covered under Census 2011 can be updated, and there is no
duplication of data or repetition.
"The enumerators will have a tablet personal computer
with a pre-loaded survey form and the data collected would be
daily complied at 182 designated charge centres located in the
government schools buildings in various parts of Delhi," a
senior Delhi government official said.
The Socio-economic and caste census is being conducted in
Delhi by the Revenue department with technical and financial
support of Ministry of Rural Development and Ministry of
Housing and Poverty Alleviation of the Government of India.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city
- Army orders modern helmets for jawans, can withstand bullets fired from short range
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble