‘Solution soon on Army, IAF spat over choppers’
New Delhi: The issue between the Army and the IAF for controlling attack helicopters was a "family problem" and the government was in the final stages of finding a solution for it, Defence Minister A K Antony said here on tuesday.
The Army has been demanding the control over attack and medium-lift helicopters saying they are mainly used for its operations and that is why they should be under it. The IAF, which operates two squadrons of Russian-origin Mi-35/25 attack choppers, has been opposing the demand.
"There is no tussle and there is no war. These are all family problems and we will find a solution. We are in the final stages of finding the solution amicably. Don`t go beyond that," he told reporters on the sidelines of the Territorial Army Day parade.
The Minister was asked if the Defence Ministry has rejected Army`s demand to have its own fleet of attack and medium-lift helicopters, over which the two services are engaged in a battle.
The IAF had recently said that it has rejected the Army`s demand to have their own attack and medium-lift helicopters contending that the country can`t afford to have these "little air forces" growing up to do their "own things".
Commenting on its proposal, Army Chief Gen Bikram Singh said the Defence Ministry holds a very "sympathetic view" about the demand raised by the Army for having its own attack helicopters.
It is still under the active consideration of the Ministry and it is not correct for anyone to say that the Ministry has shelved the Army`s proposal in this regard, he said.
Recently, IAF chief Air Chief Marshal N A K Browne had said "little air forces" cannot be allowed to grow up asking if the Coast Guard asks for submarines, will it be given the assets by the Navy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened