Son of liquor tycoon arrested for cheating bank of Rs 4.2 cr
New Delhi: Police has arrested the son of a Delhi-based liquor tycoon for allegedly cheating a private sector bank to the tune of Rs 4.2 crore by obtaining auto loans based on forged documents.
Varun Datta, 23, had submitted a representation to the bank to avail loan for importing high-end luxury cars, but neither the Bentley nor the Lamborghini for which loans were taken, were imported, police said.
The bank registered a case with Delhi Police alleging that Varun and his father Sanjeev Datta had made a representation to the bank`s Vasant Vihar branch for availing loan to purchase imported high-end cars.
However, the accused did not repay the outstanding sum to the bank nor produced the vehicles for examination and it was later found that the documents submitted by them were forged, they said.
Police said the cars were not imported and the accused had submitted fake Custom clearance bills to the bank.
The accused also managed to obtain a VIP registration number from Haryana`s transport authority, for the vehicles that were not even imported, they said.
Two employees of the bank -- one of a Direct Selling Agent (DSA) and another a Regional Sales Manager -- who are accused of facilitating the obtaining of bogus loans have also been arrested.
Police said the investigations revealed several malpractices and flaws on the part of the bank in the process of granting such loans, and the role of Varun`s father is being investigated.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list