Sonia, Rahul meet family members of Delhi gang-rape victim
New Delhi: Congress chief Sonia Gandhi and Vice President Rahul Gandhi met family members of the Delhi gang-rape victim Saturday evening, a day after government brought an ordinance providing for tough punishment to rapists.
Sonia and Rahul drove to the residence of the gang-rape victim`s family and was with the family members for over an hour.
The 23-year-old paramedic student was gang-raped and brutally assaulted in December last year. She died a few days later in a Singapore hospital.
The parents of the girl told the Congress leaders that the proposed law on crimes against women should be such that there should be no recurrence of such an incident. The two brothers of the girl were also present.
The Congress President hugged the mother of the girl and was visibly moved as the parents narrated their struggle to educate their children including the daughter.
Rahul also interacted with the brothers--one is 12th pass and another 10th pass--during which he also gave his phone number to them.
The Congress leaders visited their residence after the father of the girl had two days ago sought a meeting with Sonia Gandhi to press for quick action on Justice Verma Committee recommendations on a law with focus on crimes against women.
Sources said there was no demand from the family members who thanked the two leaders for government`s decision to promulgate the ordinance.
Congress spokesperson Renuka Chowdhary and Mahabal Mishra, party MP who represents West Delhi, were also present during the 70-minute meeting.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Shameless cheating in exams, when will Bihar learn?
- Setback for Air India as 30 Boeing 787 Dreamliner pilots resign
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- Trade unions` strike hits normal life across India
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Modi effect! Pakistan-occupied Kashmir wants to be part of India
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Parineeti Chopra turns 'sexy pari' for sizzling photo-shoot