Sonia terms rape incident as `matter of shame`
New Delhi: Taking serious note of the ghastly incident of the gangrape of a girl, Congress President Sonia Gandhi on Wednesday shot off strong-worded letters to Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde and Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit, saying it was a "matter of shame" that such incidents happen with painful regularity.
Gandhi yesterday night visited Safdarjung Hospital to inquire about the condition of the 23-year-old victim, who is in a critical state, after Sunday night`s incident, and sought "strictest possible measures" to ensure that there is no recurrence of such a barbaric crime.
Gandhi, who was at the hospital for about 15-20 minutes, talked to the doctors and met the victim`s parents, according to Congress General Secretary Janardan Dwivedi. Gandhi was told by the doctors that the girl was in a critical state, he said.
The Congress leader said in her letter to Dikshit that "such violence and criminality needs not only to be condemned, it calls for a concerted effort to fight it."
In her letter to Shinde, the Congress President said "It is a shame for us, who are responsible for the security of our cities that a young woman can be raped in a moving bus in the capital of the country and flung on to the street."
Describing the incident as a "monstrous crime", Gandhi said this deserves not only universal condemnation but also the "Government`s most urgent attention".
"It is imperative that the police and other agencies concerned are sensitised to the dangers that our daughters, sisters and mothers face every day. The security agencies must be motivated, trained and equipped to deal with the menace. I hope you will initiate immediate action to remedy the situation," Gandhi told the Home Minister.
In the letter to Dikshit, Gandhi said, "it is a matter of shame that these incidents happen with painful regularity and that our daughters, sisters and mothers are unsafe in our Capital Delhi.... I would urge you to take whatever steps are necessary to undertake community action, to strengthen law and order and to step up vigilance to protect women."
Gandhi told the Delhi Chief Minister that there was an "urgent need to demonstrate our sincerity and determination" and that "we are all horrified" over the incident.
She also assured Dikshit "you have my support and support of our party organisation in whatever efforts you need to take to curb the menace".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Shocking! 7 veg food items that may actually be non veg
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly