Soumya murder: Accused takes out knife in court
New Delhi: Ravi Kapoor, key accused in
murder case of journalist Soumya Vishwanathan, on Thursday caused a
stir in a court here on Thursday by taking out a knife from his
pocket and charged that the policemen gave it to him to attack
undertrials in Tihar jail.
The court asked the jail superintendent for an
explanation on Kapoor`s charge.
"Tihar jail superintendent (high risk cell) is hereby
directed to file an explanation to the allegations of the
accused by June 4 before the court," Metropolitan Magistrate
Veena Rani said.
The accused took the judge, lawyers and others in the
court by surprise by taking out a knife from his pocket saying
it was provided to him to attack other undertrials in the
lock-up at Patiala House courts complex.
Taking a note of the claim, the court ordered seizure of
the knife and asked the escorting policemen and the lock-up in
charge to file a written response during the day.
The replies of the policemen and the lock-up in charge
were taken on the record for consideration by the Magistrate
who was hearing the matter in the absence of the regular
The content of the replies was, however, not known. It
would by considered on June 4, the next date of hearing, by
the judge who is conducting the trial in the case.
Kapoor, facing prosecution in several criminal cases
including the murder cases of Vishwanathan and IT executive
Jigisha Ghosh, was today produced in the court in connection
with a matter lodged for his failed attempt to flee from the
custody from a hospital here.
The court, meanwhile, directed the Tihar jail
superintendent to ensure that the accused is not harassed and
assaulted inside the prison.
A sessions court had earlier framed charges against five
persons, including Kapoor, for their alleged roles in the
murder of Vishwanathan who was a scribe of a news channel.
The father of the victim had recently testified as the
first prosecution witness in the case.
Kapoor is also charged under stringent MCOCA for running
an organised crime syndicate in the national capital.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!