`Sound bills on land, food security to be passed`
New Delhi: Criticising the current land
acquisition policy, BJP on Wednesday gave an assurance to farmers it
will ensure that "sound" bills on the issue and food security
which protects their interests are passed by Parliament.
Leader of Opposition in Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj and
senior party leader Murli Manohar Joshi said agriculture land
should not be forcibly taken away from farmers and given to
industrialists for building factories and other projects.
Addressing a rally organised by the party`s `kisan
morcha`, Sushma said the first requirement of Food Security
Bill is availability of farm lands in the country.
"But the way government is giving agricultural lands
to industries, no farm land would be left for agriculture. The
policy is wrong. We are fighting against corruption in
Parliament. We will also fight for your rights there," she
Sushma said the BJP will announce its stand on the
draft Land Acquisition Bill prepared by the National Advisory
Council after the Bharatiya Kisan Morcha studies and submits a
report in this regard.
"I want to tell the government the first stage of food
security is being able to produce adequately. But foodgrain is
not produced in factories, therefore the first requirement of
food security is availability of farm lands," she said.
"I want to convey the message of farmers to the
government through this gathering of Bhartiya Kisan Morcha. We
will fight for farmers rights in Parliament," she said.
She said there was a need to demand a Food Security
Bill. "We will ensure that both the Houses of Parliament
passes a sound bill," she said.
Joshi said farmers` land should not be acquired for
building industries and for other purposes as it would be a
"big blow" to the farming community across the country.
"Farmers are very important to the nation`s progress.
Now, they are being asked to vacate their land to make way for
industries. This is not fair and the farming community should
be allowed to continue farming," he said.
The senior BJP leader said the rights of farmers
should be protected at any cost and assured them that the BJP
would support their cause inside and outside Parliament.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy