South Corp to install CCTV cameras in all MCD schools
New Delhi: South Delhi Municipal Corporation has asked the Delhi government for a Rs 25-crore budget to install surveillance cameras in all its schools, a top SDMC official said.
"After becoming the first municipal corporation to have installed CCTV cameras in our mid-day meal kitchens, we are now planning to put them in all our schools," SDMC Education Committee Chairman Satish Upadhyay said.
Upadhyay said the corporation has written to the state government but is "yet to hear from them".
"There are 588 schools altogether and if we factor in those running in shifts, the number is 432 in total. We are looking for a minimum of 8 to 10 cameras per building," he added.
Drawing attention to cases of security breach in certain schools raised by some ward councillors in their monthly meet earlier, Upadhyay said, "Girl schools will be given priority a we want the most vulnerable to be secured in the schools`s premises".
Fending off the opposition`s remarks that "instead of focusing on basic needs the ruling party is wasting money on CCTVs", the chairman defended his stand on the issue.
"Education is still our priority. This we have asked, apart from our regular budget.
One sees on television how lives are becoming vulnerable to external attacks and that is why CCTV cameras have been installed at market places too. It is the need of the hour," he said.
"The project is still in trial phase but we are hopeful that it will be very successful," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Are festivals and other social fete being manipulated for political benefits?
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- Tips to treat minor burns at home!
- UEFA Champions League draw: Barca reunion for Guardiola, Madrid get Dortmund, Arsenal pair PSG
- Clinton tops 50% support from US voters in latest poll
- Bihar floods kill eight more; water recedes in UP but still in red
- Tired of frequent dandruff problem? Try these home remedies!