South Corp to install CCTV cameras in all MCD schools
New Delhi: South Delhi Municipal Corporation has asked the Delhi government for a Rs 25-crore budget to install surveillance cameras in all its schools, a top SDMC official said.
"After becoming the first municipal corporation to have installed CCTV cameras in our mid-day meal kitchens, we are now planning to put them in all our schools," SDMC Education Committee Chairman Satish Upadhyay said.
Upadhyay said the corporation has written to the state government but is "yet to hear from them".
"There are 588 schools altogether and if we factor in those running in shifts, the number is 432 in total. We are looking for a minimum of 8 to 10 cameras per building," he added.
Drawing attention to cases of security breach in certain schools raised by some ward councillors in their monthly meet earlier, Upadhyay said, "Girl schools will be given priority a we want the most vulnerable to be secured in the schools`s premises".
Fending off the opposition`s remarks that "instead of focusing on basic needs the ruling party is wasting money on CCTVs", the chairman defended his stand on the issue.
"Education is still our priority. This we have asked, apart from our regular budget.
One sees on television how lives are becoming vulnerable to external attacks and that is why CCTV cameras have been installed at market places too. It is the need of the hour," he said.
"The project is still in trial phase but we are hopeful that it will be very successful," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- Tamil Nadu SSLC Results 2015 on tnresults.nic.in