South Delhi Corp refuses parking fee hike
New Delhi: After North and East Delhi Municipal Corporation, the South Delhi Corporation on Tuesday refused to implement the hike in parking fee approved by the Lieutenant Governor, deciding to refer back the matter to the latter for consideration.
The matter, which came up for discussion during the Standing Committee meeting here after being postponed during its last sitting, elicited opposition from both the BJP and Congress.
"We do not want to increase the burden on the people of Delhi and request the LG to do the same," Committee Chairman Rajesh Gehlot said, adding that the members would not pass the proposal.
This despite Commissioner Manish Gupta explaining that the order was binding on the Corporation and had to be adopted.
"However, I will convey the concerns of the members to the LG`s office and we will act as per the directives received from there," Commissioner Manish Gupta said.
According to the new parking fee approved by the LG to be implemented by the civic bodies, four wheelers would have to pay Rs 10 for parking up to 30 minutes, Rs 20 for one hour, Rs 50 for three hours and for every additional hour beyond that, a sum of Rs 20 will be charged during non-peak hours.
For two wheelers, the charges would be exactly half of those for four wheelers. It was also decided that for parking during peak hours - between 9 am and 11 am and from 5.30 pm to 7 pm - the charges would be additional 50 per cent of the above charges.
Currently, four wheelers are charged Rs 10 for 10 hour parking and Rs 20 for parking beyond that and up to 24 hours. The corresponding rates for two wheelers are Rs 7 and Rs 15.
The new fee has been decided by the Special Task Force constituted on the orders of the Delhi High Court on traffic issues. Based on its recommendations, the LG approved the hike and an order dated February 21 was issued to all corporations by the Transport Department, Government of Delhi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mumbai Film City shoot-out: CCTV footage help police arrest assailants
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- What couldn't be done in last 10 years, NDA govt did in one year: Smriti Irani in Amethi
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27