South Delhi Corporation to witness three-cornered fight
New Delhi: Unlike East and North Delhi Corporations, BJP will have to lock horns with its ally INLD and UPA partner NCP in the mayoral election in South civic body.
Congress has not fielded any candidate for the Mayorship or Deputy Mayorship in any of the three corporations even as BJP decided to leave the Deputy Mayorship in South to the opposition though INLD and BSP are contesting the elections.
In North, BJP`s Meera Aggarwal is set to be elected unopposed as the mayor while no one else have filed nominations against Azad Singh of BJP for the post of deputy mayor.
Similarly, Annapurna Mishra is all set to be elected unopposed as mayor and Usha Shastri as the deputy mayor in the East Delhi Corporation.
In both the Corporations, seven councillors have filed nominations for the six posts of Standing Committee members.
In South where no party has majority on its own, NCP`s Phool Kali and INLD`s Seema Pandit have filed nominations against BJP`s Savita Gupta.
The fight for Deputy Mayorship will be between INLD`s Krishan Kumar and BSP`s Bir Singh. Ten councillors are fighting for the six seats in Standing Committee.
NCP decided to field a candidate in South Corporation with support from Congress and other smaller parties.
The Congress` decision to support its candidate was taken at the "highest level" of both parties, it said and sought the support of BSP, SP and other parties to keep the BJP out in the South Delhi Municipal Corporation.
No party could get majority in the South Delhi Municipal Corporation forcing the BJP, which has emerged the single largest party, to depend on Independent and others. While the BJP has 44 seats, the Congress has won 29 wards.
The elections to the North Delhi Corporation will be held at the Civic Centre on April 30 while it will be held next day in East Delhi Corporation at Udyog Sadan in Patparganj Industrial Area.
South Delhi Corporation will conduct the elections on May two at Civic Centre. The nominations can be withdrawn any time before commencement of the elections for the respective post.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- ATM virus attack: Users of debit cards under threat!
- J&K govt suspends 12 officials on anti-national activities
- Bhubaneswar fire: Owner of SUM Hospital surrenders
- Delhi Police may arrest Kabaddi player Rohit over wife's suicide
- Politics over Mahesh Sharma's visit to Ayodhya museum site ahead of UP elections
- Airtel takes on Reliance Jio yet again; offers 10GB of 4G data at just Rs 259
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' release: I stand with Bollywood, why punish Pakistani artistes, says Digvijay Singh
- Man divorces wife after seeing her first time without make-up!