South Delhi Corporation to witness three-cornered fight
New Delhi: Unlike East and North Delhi Corporations, BJP will have to lock horns with its ally INLD and UPA partner NCP in the mayoral election in South civic body.
Congress has not fielded any candidate for the Mayorship or Deputy Mayorship in any of the three corporations even as BJP decided to leave the Deputy Mayorship in South to the opposition though INLD and BSP are contesting the elections.
In North, BJP`s Meera Aggarwal is set to be elected unopposed as the mayor while no one else have filed nominations against Azad Singh of BJP for the post of deputy mayor.
Similarly, Annapurna Mishra is all set to be elected unopposed as mayor and Usha Shastri as the deputy mayor in the East Delhi Corporation.
In both the Corporations, seven councillors have filed nominations for the six posts of Standing Committee members.
In South where no party has majority on its own, NCP`s Phool Kali and INLD`s Seema Pandit have filed nominations against BJP`s Savita Gupta.
The fight for Deputy Mayorship will be between INLD`s Krishan Kumar and BSP`s Bir Singh. Ten councillors are fighting for the six seats in Standing Committee.
NCP decided to field a candidate in South Corporation with support from Congress and other smaller parties.
The Congress` decision to support its candidate was taken at the "highest level" of both parties, it said and sought the support of BSP, SP and other parties to keep the BJP out in the South Delhi Municipal Corporation.
No party could get majority in the South Delhi Municipal Corporation forcing the BJP, which has emerged the single largest party, to depend on Independent and others. While the BJP has 44 seats, the Congress has won 29 wards.
The elections to the North Delhi Corporation will be held at the Civic Centre on April 30 while it will be held next day in East Delhi Corporation at Udyog Sadan in Patparganj Industrial Area.
South Delhi Corporation will conduct the elections on May two at Civic Centre. The nominations can be withdrawn any time before commencement of the elections for the respective post.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- On being No. 1 in Tests: We need to do a lot to maintain it, says Pakistan skipper Misbah-ul-Haq
- Reasons why you're having chest pain!
- Madhya Pradesh assembly to consider GST Bill today
- Rohith Vemula suicide case: Hyderabad V-C can't be held responsible, concludes HRD probe panel
- Saradha scam: ED summons P Chidambaram's wife Nalini