SP opposed to division of states: Mulayam
New Delhi: Days after the Union Cabinet approved the creation of a separate Telangana state, SP chief Mulayam Singh Yadav Monday said his party is opposed to division of states as smaller units are prone to problems and are no successful.
"We are opposed to creation of smaller states by dividing bigger states. Such administrative units are prone to problems due to lack of resources. Naxalism is one major problem which is prevailing in smaller states," he told reporters here.
This is perhaps his first reaction on the Telengana issue after Cabinet approved the creation on a new state on October 3.
Yadav`s remarks come after RLD leader and Union Minister Ajit Singh demanded creation of Harit Pradesh to be carved out of parts of Western UP.
Singh is learnt to have pitched for Harit Pradesh during a recent cabinet meeting which approved the creation of Telangana to be carved out of Andhra Pradesh.
While BSP and RLD support dividing UP into smaller states, Samajwadi Party is opposed to any such move.
In November, 2011, then then Mayawati government had adopted a resolution in the UP Assembly supporting division of the state into Bundelkhand, Pashchim Pradesh, Purvanchal and Paschim Pradesh.
Asked whether he will talk to TDP leader N Chandrababu Naidu, who is sitting on a fast here to "expose" Congress, Yadav said he will speak on the issue later.
Yadav also skirted a reply on RJD chief Lalu Prasad`s conviction in the fodder scam, saying he will speak on the issue at a later date.
His party had opposed the decision to withdraw the ordinance to negate a Supreme Court ruling that struck down a provision in the electoral law that protects a convicted MP or MLA from disqualification on the ground of pendency of appeal in higher courts.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation Part II
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!