Spanish national arrested with party drug Ketamine
New Delhi: A Spanish national has been arrested here for allegedly trying to smuggle four kg of Ketamine, commonly known as a party drug, worth Rs 1.6 crore, police said today.
According to police, a team of Crime Branch officials received a tip off that 29-year-old Danis Jauregui Mendizabel, who is staying in a hotel in Paharganj and involved in supply of Ketamine through courier to foreign countries, would be coming to Azad Market red light in front Gurudwara to courier a parcel of the drug through some courier agent.
Following the tip off, a trap was laid in the area and Mendizabel was apprehended. Around four kg of fine quality Ketamine kept in a corrugated box in a traveller`s bag was recovered from him, police said.
"During interrogation, Mendizabel revealed that the price of Ketamine in Spain is ten times that in India. He smelled a fortune in this. He first came to Delhi in January, 2013 on tourist visa and started taking Ketamine for himself as well as to supply to groups of foreigner addicts," Additional Commissioner of Police (Crime Branch) Ravindra Yadav said.
"Later, he went back to his country and planned to make big money by exporting Ketamine from India to foreign countries. However, when he was going to send the consignment of Ketamine through courier, he was caught red-handed," Yadav said.
Ketamine, a psychotropic substance, is prescribed as an intravenous drug used as anaesthesia in human and veterinary medicine. It is, however, often exploited as recreational drug and used in high-profile rave parties in Delhi, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow