Spanish national arrested with party drug Ketamine
New Delhi: A Spanish national has been arrested here for allegedly trying to smuggle four kg of Ketamine, commonly known as a party drug, worth Rs 1.6 crore, police said today.
According to police, a team of Crime Branch officials received a tip off that 29-year-old Danis Jauregui Mendizabel, who is staying in a hotel in Paharganj and involved in supply of Ketamine through courier to foreign countries, would be coming to Azad Market red light in front Gurudwara to courier a parcel of the drug through some courier agent.
Following the tip off, a trap was laid in the area and Mendizabel was apprehended. Around four kg of fine quality Ketamine kept in a corrugated box in a traveller`s bag was recovered from him, police said.
"During interrogation, Mendizabel revealed that the price of Ketamine in Spain is ten times that in India. He smelled a fortune in this. He first came to Delhi in January, 2013 on tourist visa and started taking Ketamine for himself as well as to supply to groups of foreigner addicts," Additional Commissioner of Police (Crime Branch) Ravindra Yadav said.
"Later, he went back to his country and planned to make big money by exporting Ketamine from India to foreign countries. However, when he was going to send the consignment of Ketamine through courier, he was caught red-handed," Yadav said.
Ketamine, a psychotropic substance, is prescribed as an intravenous drug used as anaesthesia in human and veterinary medicine. It is, however, often exploited as recreational drug and used in high-profile rave parties in Delhi, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves