Spanish national arrested with party drug Ketamine
New Delhi: A Spanish national has been arrested here for allegedly trying to smuggle four kg of Ketamine, commonly known as a party drug, worth Rs 1.6 crore, police said today.
According to police, a team of Crime Branch officials received a tip off that 29-year-old Danis Jauregui Mendizabel, who is staying in a hotel in Paharganj and involved in supply of Ketamine through courier to foreign countries, would be coming to Azad Market red light in front Gurudwara to courier a parcel of the drug through some courier agent.
Following the tip off, a trap was laid in the area and Mendizabel was apprehended. Around four kg of fine quality Ketamine kept in a corrugated box in a traveller`s bag was recovered from him, police said.
"During interrogation, Mendizabel revealed that the price of Ketamine in Spain is ten times that in India. He smelled a fortune in this. He first came to Delhi in January, 2013 on tourist visa and started taking Ketamine for himself as well as to supply to groups of foreigner addicts," Additional Commissioner of Police (Crime Branch) Ravindra Yadav said.
"Later, he went back to his country and planned to make big money by exporting Ketamine from India to foreign countries. However, when he was going to send the consignment of Ketamine through courier, he was caught red-handed," Yadav said.
Ketamine, a psychotropic substance, is prescribed as an intravenous drug used as anaesthesia in human and veterinary medicine. It is, however, often exploited as recreational drug and used in high-profile rave parties in Delhi, police said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know