Speaker completes three years in office on Sunday
New Delhi: Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar completes three years in office tomorrow.
A diplomat turned politician, she took the initiative to organize a number of international seminars hosted by Indian Parliament since she took oath as the Speaker on June 3, 2009.
Kumar, the daughter of Babu Jagjivan Ram, former Deputy Prime Minister of India, has represented Lok Sabha as an MP five times-- two times each from Karol Bag in Delhi and Sasaram in Bihar, which she represents now.
An Indian Foreign Service officer, Kumar entered politics during the tenure of late Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi, who asked her to contest the Bijnor bye-election to enter the 8th Lok Sabha.
67-year-old Kumar, who was earlier the Union Minister for Social Justice and Empowerment, organized a regional seminar for Asian Parliamentarians on "Preventing and Responding to Violence Against Women and Girls: From Legislation to Effective Enforcement" on September 15 last year.
The fifth conference of SAARC Speakers and Parliamentarians held in New Delhi on July, 2011 was another highlight during the three years of her working as Speaker.
Besides taking special interest in hosting different regional and international conferences involving different Parliaments of the world, she also encouraged regular exchange of Parliamentary delegations between different countries and by ensuring India`s participation in all major international events involving Parliament.
During her tenure, the 22nd Commonwealth Parliamentary seminar was hosted by Indian Parliament in November last year in which delegates from over 20 countries participated.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31