Speaker completes three years in office on Sunday
New Delhi: Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar completes three years in office tomorrow.
A diplomat turned politician, she took the initiative to organize a number of international seminars hosted by Indian Parliament since she took oath as the Speaker on June 3, 2009.
Kumar, the daughter of Babu Jagjivan Ram, former Deputy Prime Minister of India, has represented Lok Sabha as an MP five times-- two times each from Karol Bag in Delhi and Sasaram in Bihar, which she represents now.
An Indian Foreign Service officer, Kumar entered politics during the tenure of late Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi, who asked her to contest the Bijnor bye-election to enter the 8th Lok Sabha.
67-year-old Kumar, who was earlier the Union Minister for Social Justice and Empowerment, organized a regional seminar for Asian Parliamentarians on "Preventing and Responding to Violence Against Women and Girls: From Legislation to Effective Enforcement" on September 15 last year.
The fifth conference of SAARC Speakers and Parliamentarians held in New Delhi on July, 2011 was another highlight during the three years of her working as Speaker.
Besides taking special interest in hosting different regional and international conferences involving different Parliaments of the world, she also encouraged regular exchange of Parliamentary delegations between different countries and by ensuring India`s participation in all major international events involving Parliament.
During her tenure, the 22nd Commonwealth Parliamentary seminar was hosted by Indian Parliament in November last year in which delegates from over 20 countries participated.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only?
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part II
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part III
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part IV
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- China, Pakistan launch first joint border patrols near Xinjiang
- Mamta Kulkarni breaks silence to rebuff drug racket reports, says glamour does not tantalize her anymore
- India stands with Bangladesh in its fight against terrorism: PM Narendra Modi to Sheikh Hasina
- It's Marlon Samuels vs Virat Kohli: How two batting mainstays will decide the course of West Indies-India series
- I-T dept identifies 90 lakh high-value transactions without PAN; to seek details