Special camouflage clothing for anti-naxal operations
New Delhi/Raipur: The CRPF-- in the thick
of action in naxal hotbeds -- has ordered "fast procurement"
of 300 `Ghillie suits` worn by troops during ambushes in
jungles which are devoid of foliage.
With the summers setting in, the trees have started
shedding leaves, rendering the jungles partially nude in certain operational areas where CRPF commandos and troops
of special security units are active.
According to sources, faced with an immediate need to
arm the troops with proper camouflage, the field commands have
asked the para-military headquarters to procure the
suits on a priority basis.
A ghillie suit is a camouflage clothing designed to
resemble heavy foliage. It is traditionally a net or cloth
garment covered in loose strips of cloth or twine made to look
like leaves and twigs, and augmented with scraps of foliage
from the area also.
The Counter-Insurgency units of the Army and special
forces of the para-military forces essentially use these suits
during surprise attacks on the enemy. Sharp shooters wear
ghillie suits to gel with the surroundings and conceal
themselves from enemies or targets. The suit is also helpful
when the troops have to lay siege and position themselves at
vantage points for long durations.
The procurement of the suits would be fast and the
first bids have been invited by the first week of April, the
According to the standard requirement, "the physical
construction of the ghillie`s outer layers must look as
natural as possible. The ghillie suit should make the
resulting three-dimensional form blend as undetectable as
possible into its immediate surroundings, whether that happens
to be near ground characteristics or vegetation or both.
The ghillie suit should be designed to be cool and
comfortable, with a light but solid enough foundation to
discourage insect penetration yet allow for air circulation,
the tender requirement, the tender said.
The Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) has
contributed almost 58,000 personnel for the massive anti-naxal
offensive currently underway in various states of the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- India's Balochistan push works, European Parliament warns Pakistan of sanctions over atrocities on Balochi people
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray