Special Delhi Assembly session to take up Jan Lokpal Bill at IG stadium
New Delhi: Delhi Cabinet on Friday decided to call a special session of Assembly to take up the Jan Lokpal Bill that seeks to punish corrupt officials on February 16 at the Indira Gandhi Indoor Stadium instead of historic Ramlila Ground as announced by ruling AAP earlier.
Minister Manish Sisodia said a meeting of the cabinet has decided to call the assembly session from February 13 to 16 and the House will sit at the Indira Gandhi stadium on the last day of the session where public will also be invited to attend.
The Aam Aadmi Party government had earlier announced that it will convene a special session at Ramlila ground, the venue of Anna Hazare`s anti-graft movement, to pass the much-talked about bill which was one of the main poll planks of the party.
Officials said the Cabinet decision on convening the assembly session will have to be cleared by Lt Governor Najeeb Jung.
The Delhi Police had opposed government`s proposal to convene the session at the Ramlila Ground, citing security issues.
Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal said the cabinet discussed the draft of the Jan Lokapal Bill and a final decision on it would be taken on Monday.
It has also been learnt that government is mulling fixing six months as time limit to complete investigation in corruption cases.
The draft bill, prepared by a committee headed by the Chief Secretary, has kept the chief minister`s office under the ambit of the Lokayukta.
Soon after assuming office in December, Kejriwal had said his government would pass the Jan Lokpal Bill from Ramlila ground by the first week of February.
A committee headed by the Chief Secretary and secretaries of Urban Development, Law and Finance departments, besides advocate Rahul Mehra was given the responsibility of drafting the Bill.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference