Special pink roofed autos for women in Gurgaon
Gurgaon: Keeping in view an alarming increase in the crime against women, the Gurgaon Police sprang into action and have launched safety drive, which included introduction of special auto services for women.
About 22 pink roofed autos would ply in Gurgaon, ferrying only women passengers, said the police.
Last month`s rape of a physiotherapy student on a moving bus in the capital New Delhi and her death in hospital had triggered unprecedented national outrage and demands for better safety measures in the country.
Gurgaon Traffic Police Inspector Anil Kumar said that the women are often victims of eve-teasing when they are travelling and this service will avert such incidents.
"We have launched this drive for the safety of the women. Women are often mistreated and eve-teased while travelling in an auto-rickshaw. But now they will have separate autos, only for women," he said.
As a part of this drive, police have identified 22 auto drivers and verified their identification documents and have provided them with special identity cards.
"In order to control crime against women, the Haryana police have taken this step. If the administration helps, then this could prove to be very successful. The police have put 22 autos and they have thoroughly verified all of them. We have submitted our I-card. If the passenger feels that they are being mistreated by any of the drivers, then they can dial 100 and lodge a complaint," said Amit Kumar, auto driver.
Gurgaon has a poor public conveyance system and women, especially those without a personal vehicle find the newly introduced auto service a boon.
Ritu Singh, a passenger, said that the service will prove to be beneficial only when the auto drivers do not refuse to ferry the women passengers.
"It is a very good service and facilitates women who are coming from outside and who do not have their personal vehicles. However, the condition is that they should not refuse to take us to our destinations," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves