Spurt in chikungunya cases in Delhi
New Delhi: Chikungunya cases are on the rise
in the city with health agencies reporting more than 1000
cases in the last 20 days.
"Our records show only 33 cases of Chikunguya as most
hospitals are not reporting such cases. But after talking to
doctors and hospitals on a regular basis we can say that more
than 1000 cases have been reported in the past 20 days," VK
Monga, MCD`s Public Health Committee chairman, said.
Both private and government hospitals are getting a
large number of patients who are complaining of acute joint
Patients are reporting to hospitals after high-grade
Chikungunya is spread by the Aedes aegypti
mosquito. The symptoms of chikungunya are almost like dengue -
high fever, rashes, drop in platelets - but the distinguishing
symptom is acute joint pain.
"Most people are ignorant about the symptoms of
chikungunya and do not take it seriously too as there is no
fatality in this disease as in the case of dengue. There are
no vaccines for the disease and it is treated with painkillers
and fluids," Monga said.
According to MCD officials, majority of hospitals
treating such patients are not reporting to the MCD.
"All India Institute of Medical Sciences and
Safdarjung too come in the list of hospitals that are not
reporting to the MCD about the number of Chikungunya cases
that are being treated by its physicians symptomatically," he
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi