Sr citizen gets five yr jail for trying to rape 4-yr-old girl
New Delhi: A 61-year-old man has been sentenced to five years rigorous imprisonment by a Delhi court for trying to rape a four-year-old girl here last year.
The court awarded five years jail term to Shiv Kumar while noting that the prosecution has been able to prove the offences against him beyond reasonable doubt.
"I am of the considered opinion that the ends of justice can be met by sentencing convict Shiv Kumar to undergo rigorous imprisonment for a period of five years and to pay a fine of Rs 10,000 under section 376/511 (attempt to rape) of the IPC," Additional Sessions Judge Mahesh Chander Gupta said.
According to prosecution, on June 10 last year, Kumar had attempted to rape the minor near a pond in Metro Vihar here. The girl was saved by her aunt who reached the spot after hearing her cries, it said.
The child`s aunt had told the court that on the day of incident she had taken her minor niece to answer nature`s call and after leaving her near a pond, the woman had gone across the road for some work.
After sometime when she returned, she did not find her niece at the place and heard her screaming, the woman said, adding that she found the accused, a painter, was trying to rape the child near the spot.
The woman, thereafter, pushed aside the accused and raised an alarm following which Kumar fled from the spot. She informed the girl`s parents about the incident and they reported the matter to the police and Kumar was arrested.
During the trial, Kumar, a resident of Shahbad Dairy in north west Delhi, claimed innocence and said he was falsely implicated in the case.
The court, however, rejected his plea.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- Anna Hazare flaunts his swag on 'The Kapil Sharma Show', no kidding! - Pic inside