Stand-off over nursery admn: Pvt schools favour point system
New Delhi: A high-level meeting, chaired
by Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit, to sort out the confusion
over nursery admission remained inconclusive today due to
intense pressure by private schools to retain last year`s
"No decision on nursery admission has been taken.
Everything will be cleared within next two days," Chief
Minister Sheila Dikshit said after the meeting.
Since the guidelines issued by the Ministry for Human
Resource Development recently, there have been contradicting
reports over what will be the nature of selection criteria.
While the HRD Ministry has advocated selecting
students through draw of lots, private schools have been
insisting on retaining the exiting 100-point system devised by
the Ashok Ganguly Committee three years ago.
Sources said Dikshit is personally opposed to
introduction of lottery system for selection of the students,
while Education Minister Arvinder Singh Lovely is open to the
idea of selecting kids through draw of lots as suggested by
the HRD Ministry.
The private schools are opposing the lottery system
tooth and nail and insisting on retaining the point based
Representatives of the private schools, however, told
the meeting that they would not oppose lottery system for
selecting the mandatory 25 students from economically weaker
Lovely said government was determined to implement the
RTE (Right To Compulsory and Free Education) Act from the
The private schools are also demanding compensation
for providing free education to poor children as per the RTE.
Officials said Delhi Government would apprise the
Union HRD Ministry about the options and a final decision on
the issue will be taken after getting an opinion from the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof