Statement was confined to family, not general: Delhi gang-rape advocate
New Delhi: An advocate in the December 16 gang-rape case, who courted controversy with his gender specific remarks, on Thursday said it was a "personal statement confined to his family which has been given a general interpretation".
A P Singh, a lawyer for two convicts, said his statement "... If my daughter was having premarital sex and moving around at night with her boyfriend, I would have burnt her alive. I would not have let this situation happen. All parents should adopt such an attitude", was not meant for all women.
"My remark was confined to my family members only. I have not given a statement for all girls/women living in society.
"I was talking about my family. I will try to save them first from any type of attempt... Character is the most important thing for a person, if that goes then a person loses everything," Singh said in his statement in Hindi.
On being asked about the show cause notice issued to him by the Bar Council of Delhi (BCD), he said he will accept the punishment if he was found by the lawyers` body of any wrongdoing.
"I am a lawyer and Bar is like my mother, whom I respect. If I have done something wrong then I will accept the punishment, if imposed on me by the Bar or its member."
The BCD had also said that Singh`s statement comes under "professional misconduct" and it can take action against him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- UP elections: Mulayam Singh says he will campaign for son Akhilesh
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened