Steam mono rail to run at National Rail museum
New Delhi: The century-old steam mono rail with a saloon was made functional on Saturday for joyride at the National Rail museum here after its restoration.
"The steam mono rail with a saloon will run on weekend and it will be a regular feature of the museum now," said Chairman Railway Board Vinay Mittal after inaugurating the revived loco and saloon at the National Rail Museum (NRM).
Known as Patiala State Mono Rail Tramways (PSMT), the the mono loco and its saloon was manufactured in 1907. NRM took the initiative to get the PMST loco and saloon revived and restored. With the help of Amritsar workshop, it has been brought back operational condition.
Complementing the National Rail Museum authority for having restored the century old mono rail, Mittal said "Perhaps it is one of the only rail of its kind in the country. Earlier it was plying with mules at one stage in Patiala. Then when steam engine came into being it was converted into steam loco. Today in 2013 again we are running it in our museum."
Asked about the possible timeline for introducing bullet train in the country, Mittal said "there is no timeline as it is still in consultation and deliberation stage.
There is no finality or nothing firm yet on the bullet train proposal."
Beside the inaugural run of mono rail, NRM also introduced the audio guide system that provides well-reasearched description and details of every exhibit in a colloquical language.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- 'Law & Order' actor Steven Hill dies at 94
- Biopic on Kishore Kumar, RD Burman shouldn't be made: Naseeruddin Shah
- Samsung Electronics says Galaxy Note 7 demand beats supply
- Tesla unveils 100 kWh battery for Model S, Model X cars
- Oh no! After Saina Nehwal, Parupalli Kashyap leaves Pullela Gopichand's academy in Hyderabad