Steam mono rail to run at National Rail museum
New Delhi: The century-old steam mono rail with a saloon was made functional on Saturday for joyride at the National Rail museum here after its restoration.
"The steam mono rail with a saloon will run on weekend and it will be a regular feature of the museum now," said Chairman Railway Board Vinay Mittal after inaugurating the revived loco and saloon at the National Rail Museum (NRM).
Known as Patiala State Mono Rail Tramways (PSMT), the the mono loco and its saloon was manufactured in 1907. NRM took the initiative to get the PMST loco and saloon revived and restored. With the help of Amritsar workshop, it has been brought back operational condition.
Complementing the National Rail Museum authority for having restored the century old mono rail, Mittal said "Perhaps it is one of the only rail of its kind in the country. Earlier it was plying with mules at one stage in Patiala. Then when steam engine came into being it was converted into steam loco. Today in 2013 again we are running it in our museum."
Asked about the possible timeline for introducing bullet train in the country, Mittal said "there is no timeline as it is still in consultation and deliberation stage.
There is no finality or nothing firm yet on the bullet train proposal."
Beside the inaugural run of mono rail, NRM also introduced the audio guide system that provides well-reasearched description and details of every exhibit in a colloquical language.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Details out: What Rahul Gandhi did during his two-month-long sabbatical