Stockbroker arrested for Rs 5 crore fraud on ex-CIL chief
New Delhi: A 48-year-old stockbroker was arrested for cheating a former chairman of Coal India Limited (CIL) of his life savings of Rs 5 crore through illegal transfer of his shares, the police said on Saturday.
The accused - Sandeep Sehgal - was managing the accounts of the late GL Tandon, former chairman of CIL, who had invested Rs 5 crore in the stock market on Sehgal assuring him a 300 percent return.
"He (Sehgal) was handling the victim`s accounts since 2005, and had built a good rapport with him," Harendra Kumar Singh, the additional deputy commissioner of police of the economic offences wing, told a news agency.
According to police, Tandon grew suspicious after he did not receive any returns till 2008, and he then he contacted Sehgal.
However, Sehgal sent letters of assurance promising the returns soon on a forged letterhead of his employer at the time, Apollo Sindhuri Investment Ltd.
Tandon passed away in August 2012. It was then that his family came to know about the issue and registered a complaint with the police.
A first information report was filed in November 2012, and Sehgal was arrested on Thursday from his home in south Delhi`s Greater Kailash II.
Sehgal is an alumnus of the Indian School of Mines and also holds B Tech and MBA degrees.
GL Tandon received the Padma Bhushan award in 1986.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India