Stormy start to winter session of Delhi Assembly
New Delhi: The winter session of Delhi
Assembly got off to a stormy start Tuesday with opposition BJP
vociferously raising the issue of corruption in Commonwealth
Games projects and demanding a House Committee.
Opposition V K Malhotra accused the government of financial
bunglings in the Games projects and demanded setting up of a
House Committee to probe the irregularities.
He alleged that a "cover-up" operation was going on to
save those involved in corruption as even the Supreme Court
has raised questions over the appointment of Central Vigilance
"Delhi Government spent nearly Rs 23,000 crore and
serious questions are being raised over the way the public
money has been spent. There is a cover-up operation going on.
The probe by CVC is also being doubted as even Supreme Court
questioned the appointment of the CVC by the Central
"How can it be an impartial probe by the CVC?"
He also questioned what action has the government
taken against those found responsible for the collapse of a
foot overbridge outside the Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium just
before the commencement of the mega event.
As Speaker Yoganand Shastri told Malhotra to raise the
issue after the Question Hour, the BJP MLAs rose on their feet
demanding immediate discussion on the issue as well as
formation of a House Committee.
Repeated attempt by the Speaker to pacify the
agitating MLAs fell on deaf ears and the BJP MLAs insisted
that the matter should be taken up immediately.
Almost all the BJP MLAs, agitated over the Speaker`s
refusal, showed placards demanding the House Committee and
some of them even trooped to the Well of the House.
Amidst the pandemonium, the Speaker adjourned the
house for 20 minutes.
Earlier, both Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit and
Malhotra paid homage to the victims of the building collapse.
Dikshit said government will take care of education as
well as other requirements of all the children orphaned in the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- What's the motive behind politicising Yakub Memon's death penalty?
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Lalu Prasad Yadav calls PM Modi ''Kans'', BJP ''Bharat Jalao Party''
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY