Stormy start to winter session of Delhi Assembly
New Delhi: The winter session of Delhi
Assembly got off to a stormy start Tuesday with opposition BJP
vociferously raising the issue of corruption in Commonwealth
Games projects and demanding a House Committee.
Opposition V K Malhotra accused the government of financial
bunglings in the Games projects and demanded setting up of a
House Committee to probe the irregularities.
He alleged that a "cover-up" operation was going on to
save those involved in corruption as even the Supreme Court
has raised questions over the appointment of Central Vigilance
"Delhi Government spent nearly Rs 23,000 crore and
serious questions are being raised over the way the public
money has been spent. There is a cover-up operation going on.
The probe by CVC is also being doubted as even Supreme Court
questioned the appointment of the CVC by the Central
"How can it be an impartial probe by the CVC?"
He also questioned what action has the government
taken against those found responsible for the collapse of a
foot overbridge outside the Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium just
before the commencement of the mega event.
As Speaker Yoganand Shastri told Malhotra to raise the
issue after the Question Hour, the BJP MLAs rose on their feet
demanding immediate discussion on the issue as well as
formation of a House Committee.
Repeated attempt by the Speaker to pacify the
agitating MLAs fell on deaf ears and the BJP MLAs insisted
that the matter should be taken up immediately.
Almost all the BJP MLAs, agitated over the Speaker`s
refusal, showed placards demanding the House Committee and
some of them even trooped to the Well of the House.
Amidst the pandemonium, the Speaker adjourned the
house for 20 minutes.
Earlier, both Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit and
Malhotra paid homage to the victims of the building collapse.
Dikshit said government will take care of education as
well as other requirements of all the children orphaned in the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why