Stormy start to winter session of Delhi Assembly
New Delhi: The winter session of Delhi
Assembly got off to a stormy start Tuesday with opposition BJP
vociferously raising the issue of corruption in Commonwealth
Games projects and demanding a House Committee.
Opposition V K Malhotra accused the government of financial
bunglings in the Games projects and demanded setting up of a
House Committee to probe the irregularities.
He alleged that a "cover-up" operation was going on to
save those involved in corruption as even the Supreme Court
has raised questions over the appointment of Central Vigilance
"Delhi Government spent nearly Rs 23,000 crore and
serious questions are being raised over the way the public
money has been spent. There is a cover-up operation going on.
The probe by CVC is also being doubted as even Supreme Court
questioned the appointment of the CVC by the Central
"How can it be an impartial probe by the CVC?"
He also questioned what action has the government
taken against those found responsible for the collapse of a
foot overbridge outside the Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium just
before the commencement of the mega event.
As Speaker Yoganand Shastri told Malhotra to raise the
issue after the Question Hour, the BJP MLAs rose on their feet
demanding immediate discussion on the issue as well as
formation of a House Committee.
Repeated attempt by the Speaker to pacify the
agitating MLAs fell on deaf ears and the BJP MLAs insisted
that the matter should be taken up immediately.
Almost all the BJP MLAs, agitated over the Speaker`s
refusal, showed placards demanding the House Committee and
some of them even trooped to the Well of the House.
Amidst the pandemonium, the Speaker adjourned the
house for 20 minutes.
Earlier, both Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit and
Malhotra paid homage to the victims of the building collapse.
Dikshit said government will take care of education as
well as other requirements of all the children orphaned in the
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Watch: Panel discussion on students turning traitors at JNU - Part IV
- Ex-Army officers threaten to return JNU degrees against 'anti-national' activities in campus
- Delhi Police issues alert over alleged Hafiz Saeed's tweet backing 'pro-Pak' JNU protesters
- Really? Is this why Deepika Padukone not open about her alleged relationship with Ranveer Singh?
- Congress leader from Gujarat conspired to implicate Narendra Modi in Ishrat Jahan case: Ex-IB officer
- JNU row: Congress VP meets protesting students; ABVP raises black flags, shout "Rahul Gandhi Go Back"