‘Strategic nature of work doesn`t give DRDO special powers’
New Delhi: DRDO is a subordinate organisation under Defence Ministry and does not enjoy any special power or autonomy because of its strategic nature of work, Defence Minister A K Antony told the Rajya Sabha on Wednesday.
In a written reply to question whether DRDO enjoys a huge amount of autonomy because of its strategic nature of work, he said, "DRDO is a subordinate organisation under the Department of Defence R&D in Defence Ministry and is governed by central government rules and regulations.
"Therefore, DRDO as an organisation does not enjoy any special powers or autonomy because of its strategic nature of work."
Revised delegation of financial powers of DG of DRDO was carried out in 2010 to address a long standing requirement and was done after due process and deliberation, he said.
"The process of exercise of these powers has been further rationalised and a corrigendum has been issued by Department of Defence (R&D) on November 21, 2012 as a partial modification to the earlier financial powers," Antony said.
In reply to a question on resignation of scientists from DRDO, he said, "A total of 637 scientists have resigned during 2007-2011 and 50 scientists up to October 31, 2012... Scientists who had resigned have indicated their personal or domestic grounds as the reasons for leaving DRDO."
However, it is assumed that increased opportunities or incentives available in other organisations and industries are the main reason of such resignation, he added.
On incentives taken as corrective measures to restrict resignation of scientists from DRDO, he said excellent infrastructure facilities have been created at work places and residential complexes and two additional increments have been given on promotion to each grade.
Replying to a query on `One Rank One Pension` for the ex-servicemen, Minister of State for Defence Jitendra Singh said, "Substantial improvements have been made in the pensions of the Armed Forces personnel after 2006. However, improvement of pensionary benefits is an ongoing process."
He also said that the recommendations of a government committee, headed by Cabinet Secretary, have been accepted by the government and are in the process of implementation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- My News: People forced to pay for govt water tankers in Sangam Vihar
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi