Street children send list of demands to Kejriwal
New Delhi: As Arvind Kejriwal on Saturday took oath as Delhi`s new chief minister, street children became one of the first to send him a list of demands for their betterment.
Street and working children through their federation Badhte Kadam congratulated Kejriwal on becoming the "Mukhya Sewak" (chief servant) of the people and sent him through fax a letter with a detailed list of their demands.
The letter, which was sent minutes after the swearing-in ceremony, asked the Chief Minister to take note of the status of street children immediately, a release said here.
The children`s demands include ensuring legal identity to street and working children, implementation of all government schemes for underprivileged children and ensuring action against people involved in child labour.
The letter also asked the government to give opportunity to children to participate in children-related government meetings, at least quarterly.
"Our life is much more difficult than the `aam aadmi` (common man). We have to face a lot of hardships in our daily lives," said 16-year-old Chandini, national secretary of the federation.
"Children have a lot of hope from this government and I hope this government will take up the issues of children on priority basis," said Sanjay Gupta, director of Childhood Enhancement through Training and Action (CHETNA), which mentors the federation.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next