Stripping case: NHRC notice to Delhi Police
New Delhi: The National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) will issue notice to the Delhi Police on a woman being allegedly forced to strip before her son at a west Delhi police post last month, an official said on Friday.
Three constables, including a woman head constable, were Thursday suspended and an assistant sub-inspector was transferred pending an inquiry into the matter.
"The commission has taken a decision to take suo motu cognisance of the alleged case of stripping of a woman in a police post and issue notice to the Delhi Police commissioner and maybe to the Delhi chief secretary over the same," the NHRC official told a news agency.
The police personnel were suspended after a 30-year-old woman, a resident of Mayapuri slum area, alleged that she was forced to strip May 22 by the police in front of her 12-year-old son whom they accused of stealing money from a car.
Deputy Commissioner of Police (west Delhi) Sharad Aggarwal had ordered an inquiry into the matter.
"Three constables, including a woman head constable, have been suspended and an assistant sub-inspector of Mayapuri police station has been transferred. Now a vigilance inquiry will take place to find out the facts," a senior police official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened