Student held for mowing down labourers in Delhi
New Delhi: A medical student, who
allegedly drove a speeding a car that ran over eight labourers
killing four of them in a South Delhi locality, was Tuesday
arrested while he was trying to flee the country.
Shahid, hailing from Rajasthan`s Alwar and pursuing
MBBS from Ukraine, was arrested at the airport here.
Four labourers were killed and four others, including
a woman, injured when the Honda City car driven allegedly by
Shahid ran over the labourers near Safdurjung flyover early
Monday morning. The labourers were engaged in road
Shahid, who was suspected to be under the influence of
alcohol, had fled from the spot after the accident.
He along with his two friends Shahzad (18) and Alam
Khan (23) was returning from a party at Alam`s residence in
Aula village in Mehrauli when the incident took place at
around 2.00 am, police had said.
The labourers were undertaking repair work on the road
when the incident took place.
"Shahid lost control of the car when he swerved after
failing to spot a barricade near the spot where road
levelling work was being done. The vehicle first ran into a
divider and crushed the labourers before coming to a stop
after ramming into a tractor carrying construction material,"
police had said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Cow creates chaos near Parliament area!
- Sinners offering money to temples for solace: Chandrababu Naidu
- SC allows Italian marine Salvatore Girone to return home
- Bihar: Former Bihar CM Jitan Manjhi's convoy attacked in Gaya
- Punjab and Haryana HC stays reservation for Jats, 5 other communities
- India, China should resolve issues through political acumen: Pranab Mukherjee
- Ex-Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi convoy attacked, police van set on fire near Gaya
- IPL 2016: David Warner praises SRH bowlers, fielders for win over KKR in IPL Eliminator
- Not just LGBT, Sonam Kapoor is strong supporter of basic human rights
- After Arvind Kejriwal, Sonia Gandhi meets 13-year-old Delhi rape victim at AIIMS