Student held for mowing down labourers in Delhi
New Delhi: A medical student, who
allegedly drove a speeding a car that ran over eight labourers
killing four of them in a South Delhi locality, was Tuesday
arrested while he was trying to flee the country.
Shahid, hailing from Rajasthan`s Alwar and pursuing
MBBS from Ukraine, was arrested at the airport here.
Four labourers were killed and four others, including
a woman, injured when the Honda City car driven allegedly by
Shahid ran over the labourers near Safdurjung flyover early
Monday morning. The labourers were engaged in road
Shahid, who was suspected to be under the influence of
alcohol, had fled from the spot after the accident.
He along with his two friends Shahzad (18) and Alam
Khan (23) was returning from a party at Alam`s residence in
Aula village in Mehrauli when the incident took place at
around 2.00 am, police had said.
The labourers were undertaking repair work on the road
when the incident took place.
"Shahid lost control of the car when he swerved after
failing to spot a barricade near the spot where road
levelling work was being done. The vehicle first ran into a
divider and crushed the labourers before coming to a stop
after ramming into a tractor carrying construction material,"
police had said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Gurdaspur terror attack: Blow-by-blow account
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea