Students on hunger strike on reservation issue in DU admission
New Delhi: A group of students are on a relay hunger strike, alleging colleges of Delhi University were not properly implementing the policy of reservation in admissions.
The protesting students, under the banner of Students for Social Justice, claimed they wanted to press the University administration to ensure complete compliance with the government`s directive to fulfil 15 percent reservation for SCs, 7.5 percent for STs and 27 percent for OBCs.
The protesters are demanding the varsity extend the last date of admission for SC, ST&OBC categories to ensure the percentage is fulfilled on total admission and make counselling for SC and ST students transparent.
While Lenin Vinober, Convenor of Students for Social Justice, sat on a hunger strike today along with Jyothi, a student who claimed to have been denied admission this year.
Another set of students will take over from them tomorrow, the protesters said.
The Delhi High Court had last week issued notices to Delhi University and the Union Ministry for Human Resources Development on petitions by a group of Scheduled Caste students submitting that the University`s procedures for admissions to under-graduate courses were discriminatory against this category of students.
The petitioners submitted different admission procedures for Scheduled Castes applicants had resulted in several students of this category not getting admission in colleges and courses of their choices.
Earlier, following submissions by a group of teachers, the Ministry of HRD had asked the University to make sure the directives are implemented properly.
Following the directive, the University had extended the last date of admissions for OBC category and freezed conversion of reserved seats to the general category. The University has so far released 10 cut-off lists, the last few exclusively for OBC students, as part of efforts to ensure that OBC seats are filled.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Radhe Maa approached to be a part of Bigg Boss 9?
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, 'sex sites' planted as following
- What was Indrani Mukherjea's original plan to murder Sheena Bora?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Amitabh Bachchan's Twitter account hacked, sex sites planted as 'following'
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?