Study underway to improve DDA functioning: Lt Governor
New Delhi: A study is being conducted with a view to improving the functioning of the Delhi Development Authority that it may effectively face various challenges, including shortage of housing, in the city.
Lt Governor Najeeb Jung, who is the administrative head of DDA, said the study would identify the "shortcomings" of the largest land-owning agency in the city and also examine whether it should be transformed into a planning body.
"There were high expectations from DDA when it was formed some 60 years back. It was anticipated that the development authority would resolve several land issues.
"However, over time, some shortcomings in the functioning of the organisation have crept in," Jung said.
"While every citizen is entitled to move freely across the country, it is the government`s duty to provide facilities to all. Now the time has come to take a re-look," he said. The population of Delhi is 1.5 crore, if Noida and Gurgaon were included, he added.
A study is on to find loopholes in the organisational structure of DDA.
Responding to a question, Jung said it was wrong to say that the NCR Planning Board had not been effective.
"Every institution has its limitations, and one needs to understand them entirely," he said.
The said board was formed a decade back to develop Delhi`s adjoining areas and decongest the city.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister