Sub Registrar official gets 3 yr imprisonment for taking bribe
New Delhi: An employee of a sub registrar office here and another person have been sentenced to varying jail terms by a Delhi court for accepting bribe for delivering registration certificates relating to properties in 1995.
Special CBI Judge Rajiv Mehra sentenced Ashok Chawla, who was working as lower divisional clerk (LDC) in the office of Sub Registrar-IV in Vikas Sadan here, to three years jail while Kamal Agnihotri, who was arrested while giving a bribe of Rs 2,500 to Chawla, was awarded one-year jail term.
The two, however, were granted bail by the court after they moved applications seeking suspension of the sentence for challenging the order in superior court.
While holding the duo guilty under the provisions of the Prevention of Corruption Act, the court said Chawla was "habitually accepting gratification".
"The prosecution has established that accused Chawla has taken a bribe amount of Rs 2500 offered to him by accused Agnihotri who abetted him in the commission of offence.
"The prosecution, by the recovery of a further sum of Rs 5000 from the office drawer of Chawla, has also established that he was habitually accepting gratification as a motive for discharging his official act," the court said.
It also imposed a fine of Rs 15,000 and Rs 5,000 upon Chawla and Agnihotri respectively.
According to the CBI, Chawla indulged in corrupt practices and was in the habit of accepting bribe from the public as a motive and reward for discharging his official duties and delivering registration documents of buildings.
The CBI, on information that some officials in the sub registrar office were taking bribe, had raided the office and arrested Chawla while accepting Rs 2,500 from Agnihotri.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan