Sub Registrar official gets 3 yr imprisonment for taking bribe
New Delhi: An employee of a sub registrar office here and another person have been sentenced to varying jail terms by a Delhi court for accepting bribe for delivering registration certificates relating to properties in 1995.
Special CBI Judge Rajiv Mehra sentenced Ashok Chawla, who was working as lower divisional clerk (LDC) in the office of Sub Registrar-IV in Vikas Sadan here, to three years jail while Kamal Agnihotri, who was arrested while giving a bribe of Rs 2,500 to Chawla, was awarded one-year jail term.
The two, however, were granted bail by the court after they moved applications seeking suspension of the sentence for challenging the order in superior court.
While holding the duo guilty under the provisions of the Prevention of Corruption Act, the court said Chawla was "habitually accepting gratification".
"The prosecution has established that accused Chawla has taken a bribe amount of Rs 2500 offered to him by accused Agnihotri who abetted him in the commission of offence.
"The prosecution, by the recovery of a further sum of Rs 5000 from the office drawer of Chawla, has also established that he was habitually accepting gratification as a motive for discharging his official act," the court said.
It also imposed a fine of Rs 15,000 and Rs 5,000 upon Chawla and Agnihotri respectively.
According to the CBI, Chawla indulged in corrupt practices and was in the habit of accepting bribe from the public as a motive and reward for discharging his official duties and delivering registration documents of buildings.
The CBI, on information that some officials in the sub registrar office were taking bribe, had raided the office and arrested Chawla while accepting Rs 2,500 from Agnihotri.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read