`Suicide will not affect Delhi gang-rape trial`
New Delhi: Lawyers and experts are of the view that trial would proceed in the Dec 16 gang-rape case, largely unaffected by the suicide Monday morning of Ram Singh, prime accused in the case.
Experts, however, point out that the suicide shows that the security of prisoners is a matter of concern.
"There is a lapse, obviously. How could he hang himself in prison when there was a guard outside his cell? Definitely that man would be responsible for dereliction of duty, and there will be an inquiry with regard to this incident of 5 a.m. which is definitely shocking," senior lawyer Majid Memon said.
"As far as the trials are concerned, his name will have to be struck down from the trial since he is dead, but even then, the trial would proceed," Memon told a TV news channel.
Another senior lawyer, Mukul Rohtagi, said it showed the "pathetic state of affairs" in the jail.
"It could not have been done without outside support. There is a deep rooted conspiracy, people cannot hang themselves with their pyjamas," Rohtagi said.
"One of the accused is dead, the trial will go on. But more important than the trial today is to find out who is responsible for such a lapse," he said.
Former IPS officer Kiran Bedi said it was a lapse on the part of jail authorities.
"Prisoners of this kind are very vulnerable. Was his behaviour being reported? Was it anticipated? And if it was, what did we do with that? Those are the areas we need to judge," Kiran Bedi said.
Activist Kavita Krishnan said the suicide was condemnable.
"The fact that the main accused is not there is something which is going to affect the case. It is condemnable, and needs to be inquired into," she said.
The main accused in the Dec 16 gang-rape of a 23-year-old committed suicide in Delhi`s Tihar Jail Monday morning, police said.
The 33-year-old Ram Singh, prime accused in the case, committed suicide around 5.00 a.m. in ward no. 5 of Jail No.3 in Tihar jail.
Singh had been charged in 13 cases in connection with the Dec 16 incident, and had been facing day-to-day trial in a fast-track court.
He was supposed to be taken to court Monday too.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened