Summon US envoy over `Kali-Ma` beer, says BJP
New Delhi: The issue of a beer named "Kali-Ma", after the Hindu goddess Kali, being sold by a company in the US was raised in the Rajya Sabha Tuesday with the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) demanding that the government immediately summon the US ambassador.
The beer, by the Burnside Brewing Company based in Oregon state, also has a picture of the goddess on the bottles.
Stating that the religious feelings of Hindus were being hurt, BJP MP Ravi Shankar Prasad said: "The UPA (United Progressive Alliance) government claims good relations with the US... Is there no manufacturing code there."
Raising the issue in zero hour, he asked: "Can they show the god of any other faith like this."
The BJP member asked the government to "summon the American ambassador" immediately.
Replying to the issue, Minister of State for Parliamentary Affairs Rajiv Shukla said he would "inform the external affairs minister (S.M. Krishna) immediately".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch