Summon US envoy over `Kali-Ma` beer, says BJP
New Delhi: The issue of a beer named "Kali-Ma", after the Hindu goddess Kali, being sold by a company in the US was raised in the Rajya Sabha Tuesday with the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) demanding that the government immediately summon the US ambassador.
The beer, by the Burnside Brewing Company based in Oregon state, also has a picture of the goddess on the bottles.
Stating that the religious feelings of Hindus were being hurt, BJP MP Ravi Shankar Prasad said: "The UPA (United Progressive Alliance) government claims good relations with the US... Is there no manufacturing code there."
Raising the issue in zero hour, he asked: "Can they show the god of any other faith like this."
The BJP member asked the government to "summon the American ambassador" immediately.
Replying to the issue, Minister of State for Parliamentary Affairs Rajiv Shukla said he would "inform the external affairs minister (S.M. Krishna) immediately".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: BJP cuts gap, witnesses massive surge in seats; counting underway
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: BJP closes gap with Shiv Sena in BMC, dominates in other cities
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Asaduddin Owaisi's AIMIM bags 5 seats; counting underway