Summon US envoy over `Kali-Ma` beer, says BJP
New Delhi: The issue of a beer named "Kali-Ma", after the Hindu goddess Kali, being sold by a company in the US was raised in the Rajya Sabha Tuesday with the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) demanding that the government immediately summon the US ambassador.
The beer, by the Burnside Brewing Company based in Oregon state, also has a picture of the goddess on the bottles.
Stating that the religious feelings of Hindus were being hurt, BJP MP Ravi Shankar Prasad said: "The UPA (United Progressive Alliance) government claims good relations with the US... Is there no manufacturing code there."
Raising the issue in zero hour, he asked: "Can they show the god of any other faith like this."
The BJP member asked the government to "summon the American ambassador" immediately.
Replying to the issue, Minister of State for Parliamentary Affairs Rajiv Shukla said he would "inform the external affairs minister (S.M. Krishna) immediately".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened