Sunanda death: Shashi Tharoor records statement before SDM
New Delhi: Union Minister Shashi Tharoor on Sunday recorded his statement before the SDM who is investigating the death of his wife Sunanda Pushkar under mysterious circumstances in a five-star hotel here.
During his over half-an-hour long deposition at Sub-Divisional Magistrate Alok Sharma`s office in south west Delhi, Tharoor is understood to have narrated events prior to the death of his wife Sunanda.
52-year-old Sunanda was found dead in a south Delhi hotel suite on Friday night, two days after her twitter spat with a Pakistani journalist Mehr Tarar over an alleged affair with Tharoor. However, Sunanda and Tharoor had issued a joint statement declaring they were happily married.
Though there was no official word on what the 57-year-old Minister said in his recorded statement, sources said he was asked about the events in the last few days before the death of his wife. The minister left without speaking to the media after recording his statement.
Tharoor has offered to extend full cooperation to the investigation. Earlier, in a letter to Home Minister Sushilkumar Shinde, Tharoor offered his full cooperation in the probe into the death of his wife and said he was "horrified to read the reckless speculation rampant" in the media.
In the letter, Tharoor said the relevant authorities be asked to expedite the investigation and come to a rapid conclusion so that the truth emerges at the earliest regarding Sunanda`s death.
The doctors, who conducted a post-mortem on the Sunanda`s body yesterday, had said she died a "sudden unnatural death" and her body bore several injury marks.
Pushkar had accused Tarar of "stalking" her husband and trying to "break" her marriage when she was away for medical treatment. The Pakistani journalist rubbished the charges of having any relationship with Tharoor.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mann Ki Baat: PM Modi pays tribute to Kargil war martyrs
- Parade and hang Tiger, not Yakub: Salman Khan
- India to give fresh dossier to Pakistan on Lakhvi, Dawood, Hafiz
- Veterans serve country but do not get their due, says Anna Hazare
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- Mann ki Baat: Govt to provide cashless treatment to road accident victims, says PM Modi
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Exercise, healthy food prevent knee pain in adults with diabetes