Supporters of Congress MP, RJD MLA clash in Delhi
New Delhi: A scuffle broke out between
supporters of Rajya Sabha MP Pervez Hashmi and RJD MLA Asif
Mohammmed in a south-east Delhi locality with one of the
groups pelting stones at a police station leading police
personnel to fire in the air.
The incident was reported from Jamia Nagar area last
night and the reason for the clash between supporters of
Hashmi and Mohammed is yet to be ascertained, police said.
According to sources, police fired in the air when one
of the groups allegedly pelted stone at the Jamia Nagar police
Hashmi is a Congress Rajya Sabha MP, while Mohammed is
an MLA from Okhla constituency where Jamia Nagar is located.
Hashmi, the former MLA from Okhla, is said to have a
considerable influence in the area.
Mohammed won the by-election to Okhla constituency
after Hashmi resigned from the seat following his nomination
to the Rajya Sabha.
Police personnel have been deployed at the Jamia Nagar
locality and security stepped up at the New Friends colony
residence of Hashmi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter