Supreme Court clears way for land acquisition for Jamia
New Delhi: Clearing the decks for the expansion of Jamia Millia Islamia, the Supreme Court allowed the Delhi government to acquire about 107 bighas (approximately 26 hectares) of prime land in Okhla village in south Delhi.
The case pertains to 214 bighas of land in Okhla village that Delhi government
wanted to acquire for the expansion of the 92-year-old university, one of India`s oldest.
The city government had initiated the process a few months ago, but the Uttar Pradesh government objected to this, contending the land belonged to the state.
The court had in January stopped the acquisition process and ordered the maintenance of status quo.
“We contended before the court that the land belonged to the union government and that Jamia, being a central university, needs the land for its expansion,” said Atyab Siddiqui, the varsity`s standing counsel.
“The court modified its earlier order and allowed the acquisition of about 107 bighas of land. The rest of the 107 bighas would remain under judicial restrainment,” Siddiqui added.
The Uttar Pradesh government had contended that it owned the entire area of a little over 214 bighas.
“The order has given a boost to Jamia`s expansion plans. Currently, we are hard pressed for the space and there is hardly any space left for expansion,” Jamia Millia Islamia media coordinator Mukesh Ranjan told IANS.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Shocking CCTV footage of a woman assaulting her mother-in-law
- Quota row: Hardik Patel threatens Gujarat’s govt again
- DNA: Sad reality behind the shutting down of the historic Gita Press
- Mumbai police to probe if RK Singh's claims on Dawood Ibrahim substantiated
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- After Naved, another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Shocking revelation! Indrani Mukherjea's daughter Sheena Bora was pregnant