Sushma seeks death sentence for convicts of rape, murder cases
New Delhi: In the wake of the Delhi gangrape victim`s death, Leader of Opposition in Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj on Saturday reiterated her demand for death sentence to all those convicted in rape and murder cases.
"I repeat my demand for death sentence made on 10th February 2011," Swaraj said on microblogging site Twitter today.
On February 10 last year, the BJP leader had tweeted, "I want death sentence in all cases of rape & murder and all cases of kidnapping/abduction & murder. Pl RT (read as `please retweet`) and support my call."
During a debate in Parliament on the gangrape of the 23-year-old paramedic student in the recently concluded Winter session, Swaraj had demanded that all the culprits in the case should be given death sentence.
She had appealed to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to convene a special Parliament session to pass stringent laws to deal with crimes against women.
Later, the BJP leader had also asked Leader of the House in Lok Sabha Sushilkumar Shinde to call an all-party meeting to discuss the issue.
The gangrape victim passed away today in a Singapore hospital where she was being treated.
"Her death has shaken the conscience of the nation. We must wake up and make India safe for daughters," Swaraj said in her condolence message.
Swaraj was also a part of a BJP delegation that met President Pranab Mukherjee to discuss the brutal incident after Shinde declared that no special session of Parliament or all-party meeting will be called.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Top 5 shopping destinations in Delhi!