Sushma seeks death sentence for convicts of rape, murder cases
New Delhi: In the wake of the Delhi gangrape victim`s death, Leader of Opposition in Lok Sabha Sushma Swaraj on Saturday reiterated her demand for death sentence to all those convicted in rape and murder cases.
"I repeat my demand for death sentence made on 10th February 2011," Swaraj said on microblogging site Twitter today.
On February 10 last year, the BJP leader had tweeted, "I want death sentence in all cases of rape & murder and all cases of kidnapping/abduction & murder. Pl RT (read as `please retweet`) and support my call."
During a debate in Parliament on the gangrape of the 23-year-old paramedic student in the recently concluded Winter session, Swaraj had demanded that all the culprits in the case should be given death sentence.
She had appealed to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to convene a special Parliament session to pass stringent laws to deal with crimes against women.
Later, the BJP leader had also asked Leader of the House in Lok Sabha Sushilkumar Shinde to call an all-party meeting to discuss the issue.
The gangrape victim passed away today in a Singapore hospital where she was being treated.
"Her death has shaken the conscience of the nation. We must wake up and make India safe for daughters," Swaraj said in her condolence message.
Swaraj was also a part of a BJP delegation that met President Pranab Mukherjee to discuss the brutal incident after Shinde declared that no special session of Parliament or all-party meeting will be called.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...