Sushma suggests `middle path` to end impasse over land bill
New Delhi: With the impasse over the controversial land acquisition bill on, Leader of Opposition Sushma Swaraj suggested another round of all-party meeting when government opposed some parties` contention that the bill should be sent back to a Parliamentary panel for further scrutiny.
A top government functionary said the senior BJP leader suggested a "middle path" when the government opposed demand from her and CPI(M) leader Basudeb Acharya that the bill should be sent back to the Standing Committee on Rural Development for modification and bring it back during the Monsoon Session of Parliament.
"Some people including Swaraj suggested that the bill should be sent back to the Standing Committee. We were not in favour of it. Then she suggested the middle path and we agreed to hold a fresh round of consultations on April 18 to sort out differences," the top official said.
Briefing the media after the meeting, Swaraj said there were two options-- one was to send the bill to the Standing Committee and the other was to settle the issues in all-party meeting.
"We will hold a day-long meeting on April 18 where government will bring its official amendments after studying the amendments suggested by various parties," she said.
Later, talking to PTI, Rural Development Minister Jairam Ramesh said, "there is a little progress. I hope that the bill will be passed in this session."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- IPL 2015: Not easy for fast bowler to win many MOM in one season, says Ashish Nehra