Suspected Mewati gang open fires at PCR vans; none injured
New Delhi: A suspected Mewati gang fleeing in a pick up truck opened fire at PCR vans when they started chasing them in South Delhi, police said Thursday.
However, no one was injured in the incident which took place last night, they said.
According to police, they received information about a rashly driven Mahindra pick up truck which had hit some vehicles on Mathura Road and had also broken barricades.
A message was flashed on the wireless sets and cops at picket points were informed. Some policemen tried to stop the vehicle at the red light in New Friend`s Colony but when it did not stop and moved towards Kalindi Kunj, PCR vans started chasing it, police said.
As three PCR vans chased the pick up truck, its occupant fired in the air in order to threaten the policemen. Cops also retaliated by firing shots in the air. The accused, however, managed to flee, they said.
Police has registered a case under relevant sections at Sarita Vihar police station.
Investigators suspect the role of some Mewati Gang or liquor mafia in the incident.
The vehicle is yet to be verified. Further investigations are underway, police said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore