T K Viswanathan new Lok Sabha Secretary General
New Delhi: Former Law Secretary T K Viswanathan has been appointed Secretary General of the Lok Sabha.
62-year-old Viswanathan, who is at present Adviser to Minister for Law and Justice M Veerappa Moily, will succeed incumbent P D T Achary. Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar has appointed Viswanathan to the new post from October one, Lok Sabha Secretariat said.
A holder of Masters Degree in Jurisprudence from Madras University, he brings with him rich legal experience having worked as Professor at the Madras Law College and
Member-Secretary in Law Commission of India.
The Speaker had earlier held consultation with Leader of the Opposition Sushma Swaraj last Friday on the selection of new Secretary General. Achary has had the distinction of serving as the secretary-general for six years and was given a year`s extension last year despite reservations expressed by L K Advani.
The senior BJP leader had followed it up with a protest letter to Kumar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing