T K Viswanathan new Lok Sabha Secretary General
New Delhi: Former Law Secretary T K Viswanathan has been appointed Secretary General of the Lok Sabha.
62-year-old Viswanathan, who is at present Adviser to Minister for Law and Justice M Veerappa Moily, will succeed incumbent P D T Achary. Lok Sabha Speaker Meira Kumar has appointed Viswanathan to the new post from October one, Lok Sabha Secretariat said.
A holder of Masters Degree in Jurisprudence from Madras University, he brings with him rich legal experience having worked as Professor at the Madras Law College and
Member-Secretary in Law Commission of India.
The Speaker had earlier held consultation with Leader of the Opposition Sushma Swaraj last Friday on the selection of new Secretary General. Achary has had the distinction of serving as the secretary-general for six years and was given a year`s extension last year despite reservations expressed by L K Advani.
The senior BJP leader had followed it up with a protest letter to Kumar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SP leader seeks RS seat for Yakub's wife, sacked
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Exclusive chat with Bajrangi Bhaijaan's Munni aka Harshaali Malhotra
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security
- Manbir Kaur becomes first Sikh girl in Pakistan to top Class 10 exam