Take measures to stop water logging before monsoon: Delhi HC
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court on Tuesday asked the city`s civic agencies and other authorities to take steps including de-silting of drains before the monsoon sets in so that water logging can be avoided.
A bench of justices Sanjay Kishan Kaul and Sanjeev Sachdeva asked the trifurcated MCD, NDMC, DJB and PWD to take short term measures including de-silting of drains.
"The authorities are expected to complete the work before the monsoon sets in. There has to be proper machinery to carry out the de-silting work...," the bench said and issued directions.
To a suggestion that the de-silting work to be take from PWD contractors and handed over to the sanitation department of MCD, the court said "the issue may be examined by the government appointed committee."
The court also said that Resident Welfare Associations (RWA) should also participate along with the government agencies so that proper drainage system can be improved area wise.
In addition, the court said due to rubble and silt, the drains have been blocked at various places and asked the authorities to select a site to dump the rubble and silt.
The court`s directions came during the hearing of a PIL filed by NGO Nyaya Bhoomi seeking steps to end the problem of water logging in the capital.
Meanwhile, the court today heard another plea of South Extension RWA alleging that despite repeated orders of this court to complete the drainage system in the area, the MCD officials have removed the machine without doing the work.
The bench asked the officials to complete the work as per the earlier directions or "the commission will face contempt of court on the next date of hearing".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands