Tamil Nadu Governor, Karunanidhi mourn rape victim`s death
Chennai: Tamil Nadu Governor K Rosaiah and DMK Chief M Karunanidhi on Saturday expressed grief over the death of the Delhi gang-rape victim in a Singapore hospital.
"I am deeply shocked and grieved to hear about the tragic death of the young girl who had lost her life due to the brutality and shameful act," Rosaiah said in a Raj Bhavan statement here.
He called upon all to join hands to put an end to such happenings and "fight against such acts of brutality and ensure safety and security for women."
Karunanidhi expressed shock over the incident and said he was deeply concerned over the woman passing away.
He said instances of rape, especially in Tamil Nadu, were on the rise and called for stringent action.
"The strong punishment to perpetrators of such crime would be to put them in isolation for life in prison. Centre and state governments should take a strong decision in this regard," he said in a statement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city