Tamil Nadu Governor, Karunanidhi mourn rape victim`s death
Chennai: Tamil Nadu Governor K Rosaiah and DMK Chief M Karunanidhi on Saturday expressed grief over the death of the Delhi gang-rape victim in a Singapore hospital.
"I am deeply shocked and grieved to hear about the tragic death of the young girl who had lost her life due to the brutality and shameful act," Rosaiah said in a Raj Bhavan statement here.
He called upon all to join hands to put an end to such happenings and "fight against such acts of brutality and ensure safety and security for women."
Karunanidhi expressed shock over the incident and said he was deeply concerned over the woman passing away.
He said instances of rape, especially in Tamil Nadu, were on the rise and called for stringent action.
"The strong punishment to perpetrators of such crime would be to put them in isolation for life in prison. Centre and state governments should take a strong decision in this regard," he said in a statement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- News reporter Hemant Yadav shot by unidentified bikers
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?