Tehelka case: Vijay Jolly to appear before police, NCW today
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: South Delhi Bharatiya Janata Party MLA Vijay Jolly will appear before the Delhi Police on Monday, for the third time since he defaced the name plate at Tehelka`s former managing editor Shoma Chaudhury`s Saket residence on Thursday.
Jolly will also appear before the National Commission for Women today to answer questions on his act of vandalism.
Delhi Police questioned Jolly on Friday as well as Saturday and asked him to again appear on Monday to record his statement in the case.
A case under the IPC and the Delhi Prevention of Defacement of Property Act was registered against Jolly at the police station on Thursday evening.
Officials said policemen have been deployed outside Chaudhury`s house and one has been deputed for her security. An internal inquiry has also been initiated against an inspector who was found standing outside Chaudhury`s house when the protest took place.
Around 50 BJP members, led by Jolly, reached Chaudhury`s house in Saket on Thursday and raised slogans against her. Jolly painted the nameplate black and also wrote something on it with black paint. He also poured black paint outside Chaudhury`s house.
Jolly said Chaudhury was suppressing facts and evidence against the magazine`s editor-in-chief Tarun Tejpal, accused of sexually assaulting a woman colleague.
The protest began after news of Chaudhury`s resignation came out on Thursday afternoon. The BJP, however, distanced itself from the incident.
Accusing the Congress Party and the UPA-II Government of deliberately targeting him in connection with the Tehelka-related sexual assault case, Jolly on Friday claimed he had been interrogated by the police for over six hours at the behest of a central minister.
"I have been associated with the BJP for 36 years like a disciplined soldier. My protest was against Tehelka and not against a woman journalist. The Congress is targeting me. I am being politically victimised," he had said.
(With IANS inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP
- 'The Kapil Sharma Show' controversy: Sunil Grover opens up, finds all the 'tamasha' very 'entertaining'