Tejinder files fresh plea in HC
New Delhi: Former Lt Gen Tejinder Singh on Wednesday moved the Delhi High Court afresh, seeking its direction to the Centre to give him a copy of its reply, which said the Defence Ministry had no role in issuing the press release that accused him of offering bribe to the Army chief.
The former officer, facing a CBI probe for allegedly offering Rs 14 crore bribe to Army Chief General V K Singh to clear a tranche of 600 Tatra trucks for the force, has filed the application before Justice Mukta Gupta.
The court, which is already hearing his plea seeking withdrawal of the Army`s March 5 press release on the ground that it was harming his fundamental right to reputation, today slated May 24 for hearing his fresh application.
"Direct the respondent no I (Centre) to provide the copies of the letter submitted on record before this Hon`ble Court," said Tejinder Singh in his plea.
The Centre earlier had told the court that it had no role in issuance of the alleged press release as it was drafted and released by the Army after a proper consultation with its top brass as per their media policy.
The retired lieutenant general, in his plea, has cited provisions of the Army Act and the rules to drive home the point that the Army is not authorised to issue a public statement without prior approval of the Central government.
"It is pertinent to submit that as per the Army Act, Army Rules and the Defence Technical Publicity Rules, the Army and the Army personnel, including Army chief, are not authorised to directly address the public or media, without prior approval of the respondent no 1 (Centre). The Army could not have any media policy of its own, as has been wrongly informed by the respondent no. 1 to the Court," the application said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Para SF of Indian Army - The specialised combat force!
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Assembly elections: BJP likely to announce its first list of candidates for UP, Uttarakhand
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre