Temperature rises as 2nd spell of heat wave grips capital
New Delhi: Mercury rose in the national capital today as the second spell of heat wave took the western parts of NCR and Delhi in its grip.
The reading at Safdarjung centre, which is taken as the official reading for Delhi, stood at 43.6 deg C -- three notches above normal and up from yesterday`s 41.7 deg C.
The minimum temperature was also three degrees above normal at 30.5 deg C, which was 2.3 degrees up from yesterday`s 28.2 deg C.
"The second spell of heat wave has started today over western parts of NCR and Delhi, with Palam reporting 46.4 deg C and Safdarjung 43.6 deg C," R K Jenamani, Director in charge, MeT department at IGI airport said.
Delhi had experienced the first heat wave during the period of May 19 to 25 when temperatures had remained close to the 45-degree Celsius mark.
"After the intense spell of heat wave for northwest plains including NCR and Delhi during May 19 to 25, now again conditions are favourable for a second spell of heat wave starting from today," Jenamani said.
"Palam Airport had recorded 42.8 deg C yesterday while it is 46.4 deg C today. Such steep increase in the last 24 hours is attributed to strong westerly and northwesterly gusty winds of 30-40 km/hour which the airport had experienced today afternoon as compared to almost no winds or light easterly winds yesterday," he said.
Humidity oscillated between 21 to 60 per cent in the national capital.
For tomorrow, the Weather office has predicted mainly clear sky.
The maximum and minimum temperatures are expected to be around 44 deg C and 30 deg C, respectively.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results declared