Terror accused to fight MCD polls from jail
New Delhi: BJP may not like this comparison
but its candidate Madhav Prasad will share the dubious honour
of fighting the Delhi municipal polls from jail like Zia-ur-
Rehman, who faces 40 terror cases.
The party also does not appear to be in a hurry to take
action against Prasad or withdraw him from the poll fray as
demanded by Congress, claiming that they need to have "100 per
cent clarity" on the sequence of events.
Senior BJP leader Arun Jaitley termed the incident
"unfortunate" but said they do not want to see any politics
behind it while seeking to blame the law and order situation
in the city.
Prasad, who is contesting from Sangam Park, was arrested
today following the murder of BJP worker Jai Prakash following
an argument with him and his supporters in a railway station
near Model Town last night.
He has been sent to judicial custody till April 24 and
if a court does not give him bail, he will have to fight the
polls from the jail. The municipal polls will be held on
Prakash was also an aspirant for a party ticket from
Sangam Park but the party overlooked him and gave the ticket
to Prasad, the sitting councillor. Both were said to be
not on good terms following this.
Last night, they had an argument which led to the
Zia-ur-Rehman, currently lodged in Ahmedabad jail and
allegedly involved in serial blasts in Delhi and other cities
of the country, is the other candidate who will be fighting
the municipal polls from Zakir Nagar ward to prove his
"innocence" and regain family honour.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath reviews Gomti riverfront work
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath warns supporters of criminals, mafia
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Those ready to work 20 hours daily are welcome, rest can leave - UP CM Yogi Adityanath's message to govt officials